Thursday, November 1, 2012

Quest Amp Demos

I've been quiet for awhile here, but there should be a flurry of posts coming in the next few weeks.   I've been working on-and-off on a solid-state studio equalizer project based on the EQ section from the the old-school Trident S-80.  This is based largely on circuit boards developed by PeterC over on group DIY.   According to current plans, the unit will be a quad channel EQ.

In the meantime, here are links to a couple of brief videos I recorded this summer before sending the Quest amplifier off to David Morin, the winner of the LLS amp Raffle.

First is a general demo of some of the clean sounds from the Quest amp.  In the end, I was quite happy with how sparkly the cleans can be.  There is a decent amount also of clean headroom, albeit less than would be expected in an amp with global negative feedback.  I had wanted also to record a demo of the overdrive channel, but the crappy camera mic just wasn't up to the job. Apologies for the rudimentary playing.






Next  is a demo of how the tremolo sounds, which I thought would be of interest, since the method by which the volume is modulated is, I think, somewhat novel (the transistor based LFO varies the current through a vactrol, which acts the series resistance in front of a virtual-earth mixer type tube stage, which, aside from the mixing function, is also configured to provide some additional gain for the reverb recovery.  As I mention at the end of the video, I think it worked out pretty well.




 Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment