Monday, July 4, 2011

Grail amp wiring is complete

I think I'm done with the wiring for the Merlin and Dumble-inspired Grail amp.  Just a couple of small things to clean up with the power transformer wiring.  It's time now to spend a couple of hours to verify the circuit to make sure I've actually built what I think I've built.  But barring any unforeseen issues, I'll be doing an initial fireup later today.  Here's the current schematic. In the meantime, here's some gutshot pictures with everything all harnessed up, and a couple of snapshots as well of the faceplate:


 As you can see, there's just a couple of tack-soldered leads in the power supply that need to be trimmed.  The toroidal Antek AN-3T325 power transformer I chose I think will do a good job here, but a little bit of investigation was necessary to make sure I had the phasing relationships correct on the various coils.




Everything about this amp is big, including the faceplate. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out.  Normally, I use anodized metal for my faceplates, but the material didn't come in the right dimensions for this job.  So this time, I used a gloss black plastic material with back engraving. Jeanne Kangas at BNP lasers does a great job on front and back panels for amplifiers, and have no hesitation in recommending them.



No comments:

Post a Comment