Friday, June 24, 2011

Coming soon - the Wombat Amps program equalizer 1A

It's on hold temporarily while I work on the Grail amp commission, but I've also been working on my next studio gear project --  a clone of the revered Pultec EQP-1A tube EQ unit. It's basically a nice passive filter circuit with a balanced tube recovery section.

As is usual, I've gone my own way with layout and ground scheme for this rack-mountable unit.   As I did for the Black Iris LA-2A project, I'll be converting the heaters to DC for exceptional noise performance.

In this case, I've made the decision to mount the three tubes internally.

I'll post layout images later, but in the meantime, here's some pictures of the already-wired main board and filter board.  Notice that for the filter board, I've chosen to mount the Sowter inductor directly to the board.   I'll also be using Sowter UK iron for the input, interstage, and output transformers.

Filter Board and Inductor:



Main board, front:


Main board, backside: 

No comments:

Post a Comment